Wednesday 18 April 2012

A Family Day.

We woke on a beautiful clear Sunday morning and decided it would be a great day to see the view from the top of Wairere Falls.  
So after lots of coaxing ( I could have easily given up)  we packed up a backpack and off we went.
I must say, it isn't easy to keep positive and excited about a family day out when the girls just won't play the game.  Yes, you could say we dragged them into the car.

But........ once we were on our way, all was well.



I am always the joke of the day, because I am (I will admit) the most unfit in the family. I start at the front and always end at up at the back. But that's okay I can live with that.  At least I join in!

There is such beautiful views to take in......




Look at this view!!





 Wairere Falls steps.

It was a 20 min reasonably steep climb to the look out with quite a few steps......



And another hour to the top.  We really had to talk the girls into going to the top. We assured them they didn't just want to go HALF way!!
And Mike assured us it wasn't as steep from here on.  (cough cough)

Kaysha being a tree hugger




But the view at the top was WELL worth it!!! And even the girls admitted that.



Yes it was thirsty work!



This photo freaked me out when I first saw it.

We hung out at the top for close to half an hour resting and refuelling. Then to tackle the trip down, which of course is much faster.  Mike, Kaysha and Tahlia chose to run most of it.

And still lots of love to go around.

From the time we got out of the car until we got back in was 3 hours.  No world record I know, but we certainly enjoyed the journey.  And it was a way better way to spend the day than on technology etc.

Four days later..........my calf muscles are still sore and I look really odd going down steps :(  But the girls have forgotten the pain already and would love to do it again!! I make take a wee longer to forget.

So yes! even when your kids are not keen to get out and about and try something new, it is well worth blocking your ears to all the moaning and just pack the bag, force them into the car and GO! 






No comments:

Post a Comment